Today I took a walk to the library that's just down the street from us. It was a balmy 78* (or so the car thermometer said) and I enjoyed the 10 minute walk in the sun to get there. The photo to the left is the actual library, by the way.I walked in to this huge, intimidating library and found the section I needed (children's) right away. Excellent. Now I need to find a book about policemen with no titles or authors in mind. Hmm, should be fun. I start perusing the endless aisles, and about 5 minutes later I happen to grab a book and poof! It's a policemen book. Looks great. Let's get a library card, checkout, and go.
I walk thru the makeshift single-line corral and wonder what will happen if the booth for "returns" opens up before "checkout." Do I go there even though I have nothing to return? I feel myself breaking out into a cold sweat. Don't worry about it yet, I think to myself. We'll cross the bridge when we get there.
Just as I thought, the "return" section opened up next. Great. "Can I help you?" a small blond woman said from behind the counter. I sure hope so!
Ok so here is the narration of how the conversation actually went. No joke, no exaggeration -- TRUE STORY. (FYI - the librarian will now be known as the Russian Library Nazi...or RLN)
Me: Hi, I just need to check this book out and get a library card.
RLN: *blank stare*
Me: Can I do that here?
RLN: Yez. (remember, she's Russian.)
Me: Ok... well, I need to do that.
RLN: I need your driverz lizenze and your address in print on an offeeshal dokooment. (are you getting the accent here?)
Me: Thinking to myself: glad I brought that piece of mail with me. Bummer I didn't have any mail in my name today, bt I'm sure this will do. Chris is my husband afterall. Alrighty, here's my license and I have this mail.
RLN: Zank you. Vould you like a wallet card or one for your keychain? (I chose keychain.) Just fill this form out.
I start filling it out -- all the standard questions -- name, address, email, etc. About 30 seconds later...
RLN: We haff a pwoblem. Zees is not your name. (on the mail)
Me: Yeah, I know. That's my husband. I didn't have any mail with my name on it today. I figured it'd be fine since he's my husband.
RLN: No no no. Eet has to be youuuuur name. Eet cannot be anyone elses. *Calls over someone else because apparently she thought that I thought she was lying....?
Other Russian Nazi: No no no. Eet has to be your name. Ve get peenalized vhen ve geev cards away without an offeeshal dokooment. (Apparently driver's licenses are not offeeeshal anymore)
Me: Ok, well you realize I live with my husband, right? I mean I get that you have rules but I do live at this address. Who knew you had to go armed with your lease when attempting to join a free and PUBLIC library?
Other Russian Nazi: Eef your husband had a card here, you could not even check out a book wiz heez card. We have very streekt rules at zee library. I can see that, thank you Captain Obvious.
(Thinking to myself: and this is a fricken library. I'm not trying to sneak onto a Military base or into a prison to bust someone out or anything! Plus, "Library privileges are extended to those who live in the following counties or cities: Arlington, District of Columbia, Fairfax, Falls Church, Fauquier, Frederick, Loudoun, Prince George's, Prince William and Montgomery." <-- That's right, taken straight from the horse's mouth. And pretty sure my DRIVERS LICENSE says ARLINGTON. So, why make a federal case out of it? Beats me.
So, I left. No policeman book in tow and completely beaten down by 2 Russian Librarian Nazis.

Happy Friday!

sadness!
ReplyDeletemy total motivation for getting my driver's license moved in a timely manner was to get a library card here. apparently mail showing i lived in the area plus tennessee driver's license wasn't good enough! so it's not JUST the NOVA russian library mafia...
Haha that's ridiculous. I realize this isn't anywhere near as hilarious or extreme as yours, but in a similarly crazy vein I went to see Spoon last night at the 9:30 club and the lady who checked my ID was extremely skeptical. At first she took a good couple minutes to scope it out, looking on the back, looking at the front again, moving it around to see the edges. Then she stared at it for another 30 seconds. THEN she looked it up in a book of state licenses... and proceeded to check back and forth for another minute. I know there aren't that many people from South Dakota but come on!
ReplyDelete