This weekend Chris' mom was here and we had a great time! She flew in Friday afternoon and Chris took a half day which was so weird having him around on a weekday afternoon! Very nice though!!
Friday we were in traffic for a long time, then went to dinner and a nice walk around the neighborhood. Nice and relaxing. Saturday we spent the day in DC. Got to see all the sights (literally, all of them!) and went out to dinner again. Hung out in the evening and watched the 6th Harry Potter movie and loved it all over again! Sunday morning was the Race for Hope 5k which was for brain tumors. This was a particularly special day/cause for us since Margy is a brain tumor survivor (acoustic neuroma.) We couldn't have planned it better if we had tried! It was very moving seeing all the survivors parading around before the start of the race. And it was unbelievable seeing how many families have been affected in some way or another by brain tumors. I also made a special picture honoring Margy and her bravery through her battle, which was put up on the Wall of Hope -- pictures below. After the race we went to breakfast and caught up on lots of R & R and caught some sun :) We headed to dinner around 5 and then off to the airport. It really was a great weekend, and I can't believe tomorrow is MONDAY - wahhh!
Oh yeah, how did the race go you ask? Well, not awesome... but we did it. We completed and I met my fundraising goal and the money went to a good cause; I'd call that success.
Here's the rundown of how it went:
- We both were a little slower than our race a couple weeks ago, but Chris only by a few seconds.
- It was unbelievably hot and humid
- with 10,000 people running, lots of energy was spent dodging people and jumping on/off sidewalks
- and for me, running is very much mental (and obviously physical too) but I really do prepare mentally for all the runs I do, regardless of how long they are. So with this one, we knew the course was up-and-back. But I *thought* we were turning around at the traffic circle in front of the Capitol. Boy was I wrong... it went at least another mile past that. It was like a nasty trick that was sooo disappointing! And then, the last straightaway when you could see the finish line...was NEVER ENDING. Oh man, it went on and on for-evvvv-errrr! Oh well, we did it. :)
Squishing the Washington Monument

Lovin outside DOL :)


Getting ready to run, Forrest, runnnnn!

My handsome hubs!

The runnahs!

Beautiful scenery, that's for sure!

You did it!!

WTF was that?! I might die.

Need water! SO HOT

Look! It got put up! :) :) (NO - we were not actually that sweaty. We had both just dumped water on our heads!)

Margy!

The Wall of Hope

Chris and his mom... our inspiration for doing this race!

Pretty girl Fen

Sleepy Clare!

Annnnd, one more thing.
I just registered for my first Half Marathon!!!
Baltimore on October 16, 2010.....!!!!!!!!!!!
That's right, I'll be running 13.1 miles.

No comments:
Post a Comment