Random quips from a random girl with too much time on her hands, a head filled with far too much imagination and only one blog outlet to throw it all into.

Follow my journey!

4.13.2010

Clare's Pet-i-cure

Yup. Much like a pedicure. This cat was making me crazy with her incessant scratching. I could feel my jaw tense up and heart rate increase every time I heard one of her massive claws puncture the corner of a couch or chair..or mattress...or carpet...or curtain (you get the idea.) But it was mostly the couches/chair.

We tried everything we could think of to train her to get her to stop. We have a regular scratching post (the carpet covered kind) and a sisal rope one that hangs on the door. Thought maybe she would prefer that texture to the carpet, perhaps? Nope. She prefers microsuede to everything. And she is a vertical scratcher, so I know that's not the problem.

I had talked with our vet about this, trying to find other alternatives. I have the scratching posts covered in cat nip also, to try to attract scratching there - in the right spots! But nothing. So, the vet recommended we try Soft Paws. We've had them for about 2 months and tonight I snapped. We made an 'event' of it. We trimmed her nails to prep them for the Soft Paws application and then we did 1 paw. Well, 4 of the 5 nails (didn't get that giant thumb yet.) We figured we should try just 1 paw first and see how she does. She's actually doing much better than I expected (so far. it's only been about 15 minutes!)

Without any further ado.... our pretty kitty


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers